CHALLENGE: For a large technology company, campaign results indicated a high cost per sale for print media in half of the client’s markets and a low cost per sale in the rest of the markets. As a results of declining print circulation, the client decided to cut all of its print spend.
FINDINGS: We leveraged our expertise in consumer media research and media tactic analysis to investigate truPLAN™ results further to explain WHY print was performing the way it was. We found that the difference in print efficiency was based on market characteristics. Specifically, commuter markets that showed efficiency in print media also showed spikes in Google search queries for key words used in the client’s print ads in weeks the ad ran. (i.e., consumer read paper on train and then Googled in the office). The same occurrence was not present in the inefficient non-commuter markets.
RESULTS: The findings suggested that print spend was justified in commuter markets because the tactic was shown to be efficient and led to conversions. We uncovered this finding through the truPLAN™ platform. Our consultants linked the result to the WHY and showed that the reason print was impactful in certain markets was because the print ad triggered a Google search that ultimately led to a conversion. As a result, the client reinstated print in a selection of markets and saw a 3% increase in total sales.
CHALLENGE: For a communications company, truPLAN™ reported a surprisingly high cost per sale for remarketing display, a tactic that is typically more efficient than most other media tactics.
FINDINGS: We pulled a frequency report from the client’s DMP and found that the client had 35+ touchpoints per week via their programmatic structure. At such a high frequency of impressions per day and per user, the tactic passed the point of diminishing returns. The reason the tactic was inefficient was because of the over saturation of impressions. The target saw the ad so many times, they stopped seeing it altogether.
RESULTS: We restructured the client’s programmatic plan to find the frequency sweet spot. This resulted in a significant improvement in tactic performance. In this case, a mix optimization alone did not solve the core issue, suboptimal execution. truPLAN™ helped us uncover this finding and our deep media expertise helped us present an actionable solution that improved the digital plan by 10% and solved the root cause of the tactic performance.
CHALLENGE: For a products and services provider, there was an unexpected performance decline, not easily explained via traditional methods. The client assumed that media spend allocation led to this decline since recent tactic changes had been made.
FINDINGS: truPLAN™ allowed us to investigate more deeply and uncover several external factors that contributed to the decline in performance. Specifically, we examined variables such as media mix, competitive spend, share of voice, promotions, and message shifts.
RESULTS: We created a comprehensive analysis, which clearly identified root causes for the performance decline and resulting percent contributions to each variable, beyond media. To the client’s surprise, media was not the main factor that led to the performance decline, instead most of the decline was caused by competitive and market forces. Our in-depth diagnosis allowed the client to put a pragmatic and comprehensive plan in place to tackle the various challenges uncovered. Ultimately our findings generated lift in performance that enabled our client to hit its quarterly targets.